The operation of the accident compensation scheme is made possible through the Accident Compensation Act 1989 and the Amendment Act 2003.
1.1 Major features of the scheme include:
- promoting general safety & accident prevention for workers (24 hours) and for the general public in the use of motor vehicles or seagoing vessel which is propelled by means of a motor or engine;
- providing compensation for workers who suffer injury by accident. For non-workers only injury caused by accident in the use of a motor vehicle or a seagoing vessel which is propelled by means of a motor or engine;
- providing compensation for dependants of workers whose death result from work related accident;
- taking all practical steps to promote a well co-ordinated and essential programmes for medical treatment of persons who become injured as a result of accident;
- provide artificial aids and limbs to assist victims with permanent disabilities.